“Ramases (Ram and Sel) arrived unannounced and unexpected sometime in 1969 at the insistence of John Paul Joans, a comedian I also managed, who insisted they look me up in London after he met them in New York.
So while I was taking a quiet weekend in my Park Lane flat with Carole, my wife to be, there was a ring at the door. Two characters dressed in full robes and togas were standing looking at me and Ramases declared “Hi, I am the reincarnation of an Egyptian God and this is my wife Sel.”
I was in a total state of shock but listened to their music and was impressed with two tracks – “Hello Mister” and “Life Child”. I arranged to take them to Manchester where they did some demo recordings with Graham Gouldman and Eric Stewart and subsequently an album called Space Hymns with 10cc (to be).
My recollection of Ram & Sel is that they were very knowledgeable in what they wanted to achieve musically and so far ahead of their time that their music still sounds great.” ** Notes from “Ramases: Complete Discography”
2021 – SELKET CHANNELLING RAMASES
Notes from Selket on the topics raised in songs on SPACE HYMNS:
- Life Child: Overusing Earth’s natural resources.
- Hello Mister: Birth, Life, Death . . . Rebirth
- And The Whole World: The world as it can be.
- Quasar One: Perfection is always unattainable.
- You’re The Only One: One creator in Universe.
- Earth People: Consider what we’re destroying.
- Molecular Delusion: Excessive materialism.
- Balloon: Just one Earth, we must preserve it.
- Dying Swan Year 2000: All life is precious.
- Jesus Come Back: Prayer for Earth Messiah.
- Journey To The Inside: Humans visit Creator.
On 16 Sept 2021 Selket performed ‘Life Child’ with new re-recorded messages for the ‘Strawberry Studios Forever’ event at The Plaza in Stockport hosted by John Barratt and Peter Wadsworth:
Lol Creme’s guitar solo in the original ‘Life Child’ was the first time the *Gizmo was ever used in a recording studio (see below).
1971 – RAMASES RECORDED ‘SPACE HYMNS’ WITH 10CC
The track listing of the original album is as follows:
- Life Child (listen to Solomon King‘s cover – here)
- Hello Mister *[rare run-through version]
- And The Whole World *[rare run-through version]
- Quasar One *[rare run-through version] &*[part 2]
- You’re The Only One *[rare run-through version]
- Earth People (‘ what shall I say . . ? ‘)
- Molecular Delusion (‘ where did I come from? ‘)
- Balloon (‘ don’t burst your bubble ‘)
- Dying Swan Year 2000
- Jesus Come Back (‘ no tears for the future ‘)
- Journey To The Inside
You’re The Only One
And The Whole World
Copyright disclaimer under section 107 of the copy right act of 1976 allowance is made for fair use for purposes such as criticism, comment news, reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.